Saturday, February 14, 2009

Valentine's Day

I decided to try something different for Valentine's day. Dan was working... he always makes me chocolate covered strawberries for Valentine's day, but since I knew he was working, he wouldn't be able to. I decided I'd make a twist on the chocolate covered strawberry and make a cakeball!

You bake a cake (simple, box cake or your own favorite recipe)...

You crumble it up into a bowl.

While it is still warm, you mix in a tub of frosting.

Mix well. (looks pretty appetizing at this point, doesn't it?)

And then you roll the cake/frosting into balls. or in my case, you press them into heart shaped cookie cutters to get heart shaped cakeballs.

You stick them in the freezer for at least 30 minutes to get them nice & chilly. Try not to let your kid eat too many of them... and to think, this kid used to not eat anything??

And then you dip them into chocolate. You can drizzle them with white chocolate for decoration.

And you make a dorky looking giant heart with awful letters saying I love you. hehe... And there you have chocolate covered strawberry cakeballs!

I had planned to bring these to the fire station, but with all of the steps involved, it took me most of the day to make them. (Not all day working, but all day none the less). So, we decided to head to the fire station anyway, and I'd give these to Dad in the morning when he got home. Wouldn't you know, Dan managed to make me chocolate covered strawberries while at the station! Married 6 1/2 years and he hasn't missed a Valentine's day yet. I'm so lucky to be married to him!


0 comments: